Monday, May 28, 2018

Mavrova National Park

Today we ride!  After breakfast we said goodbye to the statues of Skopje and headed, by van transfer, to Mavrovo National Park.




We drove around Mavrovo Lake to a high pass, checked out the bikes, and headed out for the first of the day's adventures - a visit to a goat farm with a "hands on" lesson on milking goats. 






I have to say that this was a first for me. We finished with a sampling of goat chess made on the farm, and a shot of rakia, a high test liquor similar to  grappa, slivovitz, and raki, made from grapes - just a taste as we still had 50K of biking ahead.








After lunch we biked back up to the pass (and our van) and put on rain gear as we could see it was raining near Lake Mavrovo. We did get about 30 minutes of rain, enough to make the shoes squishy from water running down our legs, but then it cleared and we continued down a narrow canyon toward our destination.

About 6k from our hotel we stopped for a tour of an Orthodox Catholic Monastery. Bare legs required that we all wear a covering. I think this will be in Elle next month - the biking man-skirt.





The it was on to the hotel in a small hillside town. An hour for a shower and it was time for dinner.





A 35 mile (60k) ride. A little rain. Great scenery. And of course, the goat milking!





The google photos link to all my pictures for this trip thus far. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful terrain and views. Reminds me of the backroads and hilltown in central Italy a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dick,
    I saved the photo of you in the skirt - for future bladckmaibng.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually got my grand kids out on a Camano hike for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete